Lecture Note: Codes and Standards - Remember
- Define building codes and list professionals who apply building codes.
- Define an industry standard, give an example of an industry standard, and explain how a building standard is different from a building code.
Lecture Note: Codes and Standards - Understand
- Explain the purpose of building codes and list at least five building professions who apply codes in their work.
- Define a model code and list five examples of model codes.
- Identify key elements of the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) related to building science.
Lecture Note: Codes and Standards - Apply
- Demonstrate an understanding of how a model code is developed and adopted, using a model energy code as an example.
- Demonstrate your understanding of how an industry standard is developed, using an energy standard as an example.
Lecture Note: Codes and Standards - Analyze
- Distinguish how model code adoption by legislation, regulation, and a local government are different by using the model energy code as an example.
- For a residential building analyze five specific model codes (for your climate zone and local area) with corresponding ENERGY STAR requirements for the same building measures.