More about Tight Duct Sealing
A properly sealed heating and cooling duct system can:
- Reduce utility bills by up to 20%
- Increase comfort throughout the home
- Improve IAQ by reducing moisture, dust, and pollen
As conditioned air escapes ducts supplying heating and cooling, occupants need to run systems longer to create a comfortable living space.
Poorly sealed return ducts in unconditioned spaces can potentially draw in contaminated air and spread contaminants throughout the house.
- All dust leaks, connections, and plenums shall be sealed with UL-approved mastic, UL 181 tape, or equivalent.
- For additional strength with seams that are wider than 1/8 inch, cover the gap with fiberglass mesh tape, then apply the mastic.
- Regular cloth-backed duct tape should not be used because it can dry out and fail quickly.