Lecture Note: Disaster Resistance and Resiliency - Level 1
- List the four fundamental principles of resistance for all-hazard building design.
- List the three key features of resilience in infrastructures.
Lecture Note: Disaster Resistance and Resiliency - Level 2Problem Set: Codes Helping Buildings Prepare for Natural DisastersProblem Set: Understanding Robustness
- Explain how the four key principles of building resistance and the three key features of infrastructure resilience are applied to protect buildings from disasters.
- Explain why building codes and industry standards are at the core of (essential to) effective disaster resistant and resilient building.
Lecture Note: Disaster Resistance and Resiliency - Level 3
- Identify and explain the role of 3 building-related stakeholders that are affected in a natural disaster.
- Applying relevant building codes, demonstrate in writing how a residential building meets resistance and resiliency specifications for one type of natural disaster for your climate zone and local area.
Lecture Note: Disaster Resistance and Resiliency - Level 4
- Analyze and then provide specific examples in writing to demonstrate how applied building science has been used to make buildings more disaster resistant and resilient than traditional building practices.
- Analyze and summarize in writing with one specific example how disaster resistant and resilient design can also be energy-efficient design, and as a result, cost efficient over time.